Monday, September 25, 2006

Accident on Interstate 3

What we don't do for excitement around here!!!

Rather, the crazy things I actually find exciting around here...

We experienced a three car pile-up in the short hallway that links the living room to the kitchen area this morning.

It happened like this:

I decided to treat the kids with muffins for breakfast this morning. I woke up early, whipped up a batch and got them in the oven before the Fellers (the two-year old twins) woke up. They conveniently awakened and required assistance with their morning routine just after I shoved the muffins in the oven. It was like we orchestrated it or something, so smooth was the timing!

After taking the little guys to the bathroom, changing them and filling their sippy-cups, I had a few spare minutes before the muffins were done to check my email. As I was reading/sorting through all the junk, spam, and forwarded jokes the buzzer gleefully announced the muffin's completion. Knowing my oven is kind of on the cool side and, therefore, a little slow, I knew that I did not have to rush to yank the muffins out--the chances of them charring before I finished reading the last sentence was slim to none. However, the Fellers and EEF did not know that, or, more accurately, did not care, so great was their desire for fresh, hot muffins. So, when the buzzer sounded, all three boys ran into the kitchen like a miniature freight train to gather around the oven at the buzzer's insistence. When I did not immediately drag my butt to the kitchen to unload the oven in what they considered a timely fashion, the Fellers rushed as fast as their stubby toddler legs could carry them back through the door to the hallway to come and fetch me. Unfortunately, that was when I finally rounded the corner from the living room into the hallway myself to unload the muffins. Since the hallway is very short, maybe a little over ten feet, you can imagine the physics lesson that is two speeding toddlers colliding with a mom headed in the opposite direction. First Stink slammed full speed into my legs and bounced backwards, slamming into Boompas, who also bounced backwards--unfortunately, he bounced backwards so hard that he lost his balance, landed on his butt on the kitchen floor and slid into the cat food which sent cat kernels scattering here and there and everywhere. Bump, bump, crash!

Of course, Boompas was not nearly as amused as I was--in fact he was quite loudly upset, embarrassed and indignant. I had to swallow my laughter and try to soothe him with my words as I demuffined the oven. Finally, a bargain was struck: his silence in exchange for an Indiana Jones movie and a fresh muffin.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL ohh my my daughter is constantly bumping into me when she's in a hurry to get somewhere ... poor boys

25 September, 2006 13:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Finally, a bargain was struck: his silence in exchange for an Indiana Jones movie and a fresh muffin."

A fresh muffin would make me look the other way on ALOT of things too...

26 September, 2006 10:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like an hourly occurance at my house. Only, minus the muffins.

Energy? In the morning? To bake? You have my complete and total admiration.

26 September, 2006 11:42  
Blogger Slackermommy said...

I can so relate except for the making muffins part.

26 September, 2006 17:21  
Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

Great. Now I'll never bake again without recalling the words: "demuffined the oven"

Heh. That should be a euphemism for delivering a baby.

28 September, 2006 12:17  
Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

28 September, 2006 12:18  
Blogger Sharpie said...

I'd let you run into me if you'll bake me fresh home-made muffins seriously. ;-)

29 September, 2006 08:41  
Blogger macboudica said...

Heh, heh. You caught that line, did ya, Blue?

29 September, 2006 09:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home